Last Updated: December 26, 2019
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Personal Information We Collect Directly from You We collect personal information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect personal information when you use our websites; provide product reviews; shop in our stores; call us on the phone; create an online account; sign up to receive our emails; request a catalog; participate in a sweepstakes, contest, promotion or survey; communicate with us via third-party social media sites; request customer support; apply for and/or participate in our loyalty program; apply for a job; or otherwise communicate with us. The types of personal information we may collect include your name, email address, zip or postal code, billing address, shipping address, phone number, payment card information, product preferences, demographic information and any other personal information you choose to provide. In some cases, we may also collect personal information you provide about others, such as when you purchase a gift card for someone and request that we deliver it electronically, create and share a "wishlist" or decide to purchase and ship products to someone. We will use this personal information to fulfill your requests and will not send marketing communications to your contacts unless they separately opt in to receive communications from us.
Information About Your Use of Our Services We collect information about your use of our Services, such as the products you purchase or express interest in.
Personal Information We Collect Automatically We automatically collect certain personal information about you when you access or use our Services, including:
- Log Information: We collect information about your use of our websites, such as the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the referring link through which you accessed our websites.
- Device Information: We collect information about the device you use to access our online Services, including the hardware model and operating system and version.
- Transaction Information: When you purchase or return a product, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details and the date and location of the purchase/return.
- Video Data: We collect video data via security cameras we deploy in some of our retail stores.
Personal Information We Collect from Our Partners and Other Sources We may obtain personal information about you from other sources and combine that with information we collect about you. For example, we collect personal information from the local postal services’ national change of address databases to verify and update mailing addresses. In addition, if you are a United States customer and apply for a J.Crew Credit Card, we obtain limited personal information about you from the partners that manage our private label credit card program. If you interact with us on social media, we will also collect personal information about those interactions.
Personal Information We Derive We may derive personal information or draw inferences about you based on the other types of personal information we collect. For example, we may infer your location based on your IP address, or that you are interested in purchasing a certain type of clothing based on your browsing behavior on our Services.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use personal information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services, including to facilitate and improve your in-store and online shopping experiences;
- Deliver the products and Services you request, or that are reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship, complete transactions, perform our contractual obligations, and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- Process your orders, payments, and account adjustments and initiate, render, bill, and collect payment for our products and Services;
- Conduct internal research and development and make business decisions about current and future product and service offerings;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, Services, offers, promotions, rewards and events and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to manage these communications, please see “Your Choices” below;
- Manage your online account(s) and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Personalize your online experience and provide advertisements, content or features that match your profile and interests;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- Process and deliver contest, promotion and sweepstakes entries and rewards;
- Detect, protect against and prevent security incidents and illegal or unauthorized activities, investigate complaints and claims, and provide other security protections, such as identity verification;
- Protect users of our Services from fraudulent, malicious, deceptive, abusive, or unlawful activities of others;
- Debug and repair errors in our products and Services and other activities to maintain and improve the quality and safety of our products and Services;
- Cooperate with law enforcement and protect the rights (including free speech), interests, safety or property of J.Crew or our customers, service providers and other third parties;
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal and regulatory obligations, and respond to governmental requests;
- Enforce our policies, terms and conditions, or other agreements;
- Defend against or pursue claims, disputes, or litigation – in court or elsewhere;
- Provide you the benefits of our loyalty program if you are a member of our loyalty program; and
- Carry out any other purpose readily apparent to you or described to you at the time the personal information is collected.
ADVERTISING & OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
We may also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign on other websites or platforms.
Our retention periods for personal information are based on business needs and legal requirements. We retain personal information for as long as is necessary for the processing purpose(s) for which the personal information was collected and any other permissible, related purpose. For example, we may retain certain transaction details and correspondence until the time limit for claims arising from the transaction has expired.
We do not, in providing the Services, knowingly collect personal information from children. If you have reason to believe that a child has provided personal information to us via the Services, please contact us, and we will endeavor to delete that personal information from our databases.
Managing or Deleting Your Online J.Crew Account You may update, correct or delete your online account information at any time by logging into your account and navigating to the “My Account” page or by contacting us as indicated in the Contact Us section below. You can also contact us if you wish to deactivate your online account. Note that we may retain certain personal information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of personal information about you for a certain period of time.
Opting Out of Promotional Communications You can opt out of receiving promotional communications from us at any time by doing the following:
- To opt out of direct mail (such as catalogs and postcards): Log into your online account and adjust your settings under the "Catalog Preferences" page or contact us at email@example.com.
- To opt out of promotional emails and text messages: Follow the instructions provided in those communications or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may continue to send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Data Transfers and Privacy Shield J.Crew has operations in the U.S. and other countries. As such, we or our service providers may transfer your personal information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it. When we transfer personal information from the European Union ("EU Data") to the U.S., we adhere to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework Principles of notice; choice; onward transfer; security; data integrity and purpose limitation; access; and recourse, enforcement and liability designed by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Commission (the "Principles"). For more information about J.Crew's certification and the Principles, please visit the Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield website. Please direct any inquiries or complaints regarding our compliance with the Principles to the point of contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below. If we do not resolve your complaint, you may submit your complaint free of charge to JAMS (https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield), our designated Privacy Shield dispute resolution provider. Under certain conditions specified by the Principles, you may also be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint. J.Crew is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the FTC. If J.Crew shares EU Data with a third-party service provider that processes the data solely on our behalf, then we will be liable for that third party's processing of EU Data in violation of the Principles, unless we can prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
Residents of the European Economic Area (“EEA”)
- J.Crew Entity Responsible for Your Personal Information
- Legal Basis for Processing
We process your personal information described above:
- As necessary to fulfill our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products you have ordered);
- As necessary for our legitimate interests, including our interest in providing relevant and secure Services, and improving our Services and products;
- As necessary to comply with our legal obligations; or
- As consistent with your consent, which you may revoke at any time.
- Exercising Your Rights
You have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected or erased and to port your personal information. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing or to withdraw consent you have previously provided. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you may contact us at email@example.com. If you have a J.Crew account, you may also review, update and delete certain personal information or adjust your marketing preferences by logging into your account.
- Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of your personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. For contact details of your relevant local Data Protection Authority, please see http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
If you are a resident of the United Kingdom, J.Crew U.K. Limited and J.Crew Group Inc. provide our Services to you and are responsible for your personal information when you use our Services. If you are a resident in all other EEA jurisdictions, J.Crew Group Inc. provides our Services to you and is responsible for your personal information when you use our Services.
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
Consumers residing in California are afforded certain additional rights with respect to their personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act or “CCPA” (California Civil Code Section 1798.100 et seq) and the “Shine the Light” Law (California Civil Code section 1798.83).
California Consumer Privacy Act Additional Disclosures Related to the Collection, Use, Disclosure and Sale of Personal Information
Collection and Use of Personal Information: In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law, commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation data, professional or employment-related information, audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, inferences drawn about you, and other categories of personal information that relate to, describe or are reasonably capable of being associated with you.
For examples of the precise data points we collect and the sources from which we collect this personal information, please see “Collection of Information” above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in “Use of Information” above.
Disclosure of Personal Information: We may share your personal information with third parties as described in the “Sharing of Information” section above. In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business or commercial purposes: identifiers, characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law, commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity information, geolocation data, audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, professional or employment-related information, inferences drawn about you, and other categories of personal information that relate to, describe or are reasonably capable of being associated with you.
Sale of Personal Information: California law requires that we provide transparency about personal information we “sell” which for the purposes of the CCPA broadly means scenarios in which we have shared personal information with partners in exchange for valuable consideration. In the preceding 12 months, we have “sold” the following categories of personal information: identifiers. In addition, we share identifiers such as cookies and the advertising identifier associated with your mobile device with our advertising partners, and those partners use and share those identifiers to show ads that are targeted to your interests. Please visit our “California Do Not Sell My Personal Information” webpage to learn more about how we sell personal information and to make an opt-out request.
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request (1) more information about the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected, sold and disclosed for a business purpose in the last 12 months, (2) deletion of your personal information, and (3) that we stop selling your personal information.
You may make these requests by calling 1-866-467-8688 and entering service code 358# or visiting this page. To opt out of sales, you can also visit our “California Do Not Sell My Personal Information” webpage. Once we receive your request, we will verify it by asking you to provide certain information, such as information regarding a recent purchase. We will honor requests received to the extent required by applicable law and within the time provided by law. If you would like to use an authorized agent registered with the California Secretary of State to exercise your rights, we may request evidence that you have provided such agent with power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests on your behalf.
We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights under the CCPA.
Shine the Light
California law permits residents of California to request notice of how their personal information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the contact address in “Contact Us” section below.